回复: 日常英语口语--2月至3月 (记录生活中的妙语,俗语,日常语,不拘一格)

176.     He is very nice, but oh my god, thick as a brick  他人很好,可,我的天啊,傻得像块砖似地, he  doesn’t think very quick.他脑筋转得不快, Like me像我吗? No, you are very good.没有,你好多了/你很好的了 Oh, maybe thick as a bread?---still have some margin there.   也许傻得像块面包?---还有些空隙可以转动.

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

177.    It is kind of nifty .这(衣服)挺漂亮的/时髦的.
[美俚]俏皮的; 漂亮的; 时髦的
That is a nifty suit.
那是很漂亮的一身衣服。

178.    If it is not fixed rust will get into it. 如果不修理它就会生锈的。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

179.    I didn’t have much sleep last night so don’t depend on me to make a decision, my mind is like a fog/my mind is in a fog. I was up and down all night again. 我昨夜没睡好所以别指望我来做决定,现在脑子是稀里糊涂的。昨夜整晚我再次转转翻侧没睡好。
180.    I am all dressed up and ready I can’t lay down now because I have to get up and get ready all over again.  我已经穿戴好,准备好了,我不能躺下因为得重新再准备。
181.    I  just had a doze not quite asleep 我刚才只打了个盹儿,没真正睡熟。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

我要彻底俘获你

[video (flash player not installed)]

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

Spoiled Child 

throwing a tantrum

没得去麦当劳她就。。。

I don't like you Mommy

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

182.    She is a dandy, she is a looker. 她穿着时髦是个美女。
183.    ...Bad language, a couple of time...不雅语言用了几次。
184.    She is colicky, when she eats she could gas very bad. Everything she eats would make her belly hurt.  她害疝痛病,吃东西时候涨气非常。吃什么都令得她腹部绞痛。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

2011年春天流行喇叭裤,小白裙,圆型太阳镜...

Top 5 spring fashion trends

We narrow down our top five spring must-haves.
Related Content
- Spring must-have: The small bag
- Spring fashion: Pants
- How to wear the maxiskirt

Fashion followers know that the real first signs of spring are the sandals, frocks and sunglasses that are now beginning to appear in our favourite store windows. If you plan on indulging in a little shopping, here are the top five spring pieces you’ll need this season.

Wide-leg jeans
If you can only add one new item to your wardrobe this spring, make it a pair of wide leg jeans. The 70s are back with a vengeance and designers from Derek Lam to Celine and Dries Van Noten are embracing the classic bell-bottom silhouette this season. Not to mention trend-setting celebs like Katie Holmes, Rachel Bilson and Kate Moss. Chic and oh-so easy to wear, pair them with a button-up blouse or even your favourite tee and you can’t go wrong.

LWD (Little white dress)
You can give your LBD a much-needed break because 2011 is the year of the white-hot little white dress. From sweet and pastoral to edgy and off-kilter, this spring innocent little white will no longer be taking a back seat to ubiquitous black in the fashion hierarchy. Sexy, chic and yes, even a little rock ‘n roll, the little white dress was the star of spring runways, showing up at Derek Lam, Jill Stuart, even Alexander Wang who is famous for his love of black.

Round sunglasses
Another sign that the 70s are back for spring: the return of round sunglasses. From small and round (a la Lennon) to big and oversized (think Mary Kate Olsen) these retro shades were all over the runways courtesy of designers like Proenza Schouler, Peter Som and Diane von Furstenberg and are sure to be this season’s ultimate style statement.

http://fashionism.ca/spring_trends/top_ … s/057a444f

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

To control intelligence in the attempt to insure only benevolent consequences would be a Pyrrhic victory sentencing the human race to ignorance, stagnation and decadence, and probably would be impossible.

企图控制人类的智慧以确保只有仁慈的结果,将会是一场付出巨大代价的胜利,人类会遭受惩罚,变得无知、停滞&堕落,而且这一企图就是不可能的。
Pyrrhic victory 意为付出巨大代价而得的胜利。典故(Allusion),
古希腊国王Epirus name  Pyrrhus ,与BC280年,打败罗马军队,但由于损失惨重,竟无力再攻下罗马。

—She won the court case, but it was a pyrrhic victory because she had to pay so much in legal fees.

最后由 王靖侥 (2011-03-28 22:49:25) 修改

185.    去年年底我去Indigo书店逛,结果买了一个包含365句名言的日历,每日一句。 March 27, 2011: "If hopes were dupes, fears may be liars." ---Arthur Hugh Clough, English poet

---"when your hopes of getting some positive results end in despair there is nothing to get dejected as your apprehensions of happening something wrong may also turn out to be wrong. Basically this idiom is used to boost up one's morale."

186.    Keep a stiff upper lip--1. 坚定不移2. (面对痛苦或困境)不动声色,沉着而不外露
Prov. Act as though you are not upset.; Do not let unpleasant things upset you. (English people are stereotypically supposed to be very good at keeping a stiff upper lip.) Even though he was only three years old, Jonathan kept a stiff upper lip the whole time he was in the hospital recovering from his surgery. Jill: Sometimes this job frustrates me so much I could just break down in tears. Jane: Keep a stiff upper lip. Things are bound to improve.

"Good girl! Not even a whimper "好孩子,一个呜咽也没有  (小孩子打针时很坚强, 不哭,护士赞)

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

有个建议,我对R宝的英语 可以每一个季度就重新开一个新的帖子。
我这边存的你的英语1-3月份快满员了。准备重新开一个word文档来存你4-6月的

赞同此帖

187.    They don’t have many varieties (of Asian vegetables). 他们家的(亚洲菜)没有太多种类选择。
188.    A brick of tea 一砖茶。My friend gave me a brick of pu-erh tea which is valuble to me so I will save it for some special occasions. 我朋友送给我一砖普耳茶,对我来说它很贵重所以我舍不得用留给特殊场合用.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_brick

Tea bricks (traditional Chinese: 磚茶; simplified Chinese: 砖茶, zhūan chá) or compressed tea (traditional: 緊壓茶; simplified: 紧压茶, jǐnyā chá) are blocks of whole or finely ground black tea, green tea, or post-fermented tea leaves that have been packed in molds and pressed into block form. This was the most commonly produced and used form of tea in ancient China prior to the Ming Dynasty. Although tea bricks are less commonly produced in modern times, many post-fermented teas, such as pu-erh, are still commonly found in bricks, discs, and other pressed forms. Tea bricks can be made into beverages or eaten as food, and were also used in the past as a form of currency.

189.    Hold your horses第一次听这个表达是以前在多伦多时候在高中的英语课堂里,老师在课堂上放一部电影(黑白片,名字不记得啦)让大家看,印象深刻的一个场景是女主角叫那个鲁莽的在大声嚷嚷的男主角 “hold your horses”--稍安勿躁。 昨天再听我的英语老师对这个表达的解释: be patient, think before you act. 我说don’t be imprudent. 老师说对的,不过这个词是一个fancy word(1.华丽的词藻,有时还指没有意义的词语堆砌2. 看上去更为专业的用语) 大概80%到90%的加拿大人都不会用这个词, it is not the most commonly used,不是最常用的。所以我认为掌握很多的华丽的词汇并不代表就能有效地与当地人沟通---得用他们常用的。 
---imprudent
*[im'pru:dәnt]
a. 轻率的, 鲁莽的

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

沟通2000个英语单词差不多。
但是阅读和听新闻。对非英语母语的却非常需要。
一个英语国家本科生需要的英语词汇加上拓展单词应该5万以上,不然毕业证都难拿到。
不过中国英语专业毕业生1-2万个单词量我都觉得乱强一把了。

新季度从新开个帖子吧

赞同此帖

王靖侥 写:

沟通2000个英语单词差不多。
但是阅读和听新闻。对非英语母语的却非常需要。
一个英语国家本科生需要的英语词汇加上拓展单词应该5万以上,不然毕业证都难拿到。
不过中国英语专业毕业生1-2万个单词量我都觉得乱强一把了。

新季度从新开个帖子吧

谢谢你的建议! 我会的。

加拿大学生从小训练阅读能力,幼稚园的学生的书包里每天都有不一样的故事书,每天要读一本然后写几句与故事有关的的句子。 他们的词汇从小就积累就不断的重复运用。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

George walden is the Jonathan Swift of our age,hurling dangerously literate abuse at the tat and trash of our culture.

乔治·瓦尔登是我们这个时代的乔纳森·斯威夫特,严厉批评我们文化腐败现象。
Jonathan Swift乔纳森·斯威夫特(英国讽刺作家 早期代表作《一只洗澡盆的故事》1704,讽刺宗教和学术界的腐败现象。

He expressed alarm that Ph.D.candidate often focused on science,not on likely uses for their work.
他发出警告,攻读博士学位的经常把注意力放在科学本身,而非在实际工作中可能的应用。
句中that  Ph.D. candidates often focused on science,not on likely uses for their work 为同位语从句,修饰alarm

记忆犹新的广交会,像个白痴一样过了1天。第3天才找到所谓翻译的感觉,想来所谓大学应该是自我教育。真的应了了句老话“师傅引进门,修行在各人。”
所谓实际操作对一心读圣贤书的学子真是当头一棒。姜是老的辣不得不承认。

最后由 王靖侥 (2011-03-29 22:56:50) 修改

赞同此帖

妹子很有前途啊!  真的让人鼓舞!

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

Romina 写:

妹子很有前途啊!  真的让人鼓舞!

从你这里能够得到不断前进的动力,关于英语和画画我会一直鞭策自己前进。
为见得学得这些能有很多机会展示。但的确这2个爱好是我心之所向。
摘:
Concedes mom:" He need a little discipline."

他母亲承认道:“他应该受些约束了。”这句为倒装句,谓语提前一加强语气,全句为:

His mother concedes:"He needs a little discipline."

But the money and effort being poured into building brand recognition and loyalty will inevitably bear fruit in the heavily label-conscious region.
但是为让公众认同该品牌所花费的金钱,所付出的努力必将会在具浓厚品牌意识的区域奏效。

赞同此帖

190.    You should help me brush my teeth in the first place. 你应该第一时间/首先帮我刷牙。(小孩子意外睡着了被叫醒去刷牙,不满,抱怨)

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴