回复: 日常英语口语--2月至3月 (记录生活中的妙语,俗语,日常语,不拘一格)

《Letters to Juliet给朱丽叶的信》
维罗纳:爱情胜地
风光旖旎的欧洲乡村、质朴善良的人民、纯情真诚的善男信女、骑在高头大马上的意大利老男和等待了一生的坚韧女人,两端堪称传奇和浪漫的爱情--这就是影片《给朱丽叶的信》的全部内容。

经典台词
·I don't know true love had an expiration date.
我不知道真爱还有过期的时候
·I went for a ride this morning as an old man, and came back as a teenager again.
我这个大老头子早上去骑马,然而回来时变得年轻了。
·Destiny wanted us to meet again.
命运让我们再次重逢
·I’m sorry I was late.
对不起我来晚了。
·When we are speaking about love , it's never too late.
  既然我们谈论的是爱,那么永远都不会晚
·Doubt thou the stars are fire 怀疑星星在燃烧
  Doubt that the sun doth move 怀疑太阳真的会动
  Doubt the truth be a liar 怀疑真理是谎言
  But never doubt I love you 但我从不怀疑我爱你

·As long as you are waiting for me on the other side
只要你一直在另一边守候我
A love to leave loved ones for , a love to cross oceans for
生死离别之爱,远渡重洋之爱

最后由 王靖侥 (2011-03-03 00:03:02) 修改

赞同此帖

朱丽叶的信 具体内容
Dear Claire, "what" and "if" are two words as non-threatening as words can be.But put them together,side by side,and they have the power to haunt you for the rest of your life.What if……I don't know how your story ended,but if what you felt then was true love,then it's never too late.If it was true then,why wouldn't it be ture now?You need only the courage to follow your heart.I don't know what a love like Juliet's feels like,a love to leave loved ones for, a love to cross oceans for,bur I'd like to believe,if Iever were to feel it,that I'd have the courage to seize it.And Claire,if you didn't,I hope one day that you will.
All my love,
  Juliet.
“怎样”和“如果”是两个毫无伤害性的词语,但是如果放在一起,同时出现,就会产生困扰你一生的力量。假如那又怎么样?我不知道你故事的结局,但如果你时候依然有感觉,那就是真爱。并且永远不会太晚如果当时感觉是真的,何不现在去实现呢?你需要的仅仅是勇气,要尊从你的心声我不知道什么才是朱丽叶的爱,生死离别之爱,远隔重洋之爱,但我相信,如果我曾感受真爱,我就会有勇气抓住真爱。而克莱尔,如果你还没有抓住,我希望有一天你可以。
献上我的爱
  朱丽叶

赞同此帖

电影插曲
Love Story
                      Taylor Swift

We were both young when I first saw you
当我第一次见到你的时候我们都还很年轻
I close my eyes and the flashback starts
我闭上双眼 我们的故事在我脑海里一幕幕回放
I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air
炎炎夏日我站在阳台上
See the lights, see the party, the ball gowns
看着这些灯,派对和舞会礼服
See you make your way through the crowd
看你穿过拥挤的人群
And say hello, little did I know
跟我打招呼 我不知道

That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles
你就是罗密欧 你朝我扔小石子
And my daddy said stay away from Juliet
我爸爸说 离朱丽叶远点
And I was crying on the staircase, begging you please don't go
我在楼梯上哭了 求你不要离开

And I said
我说
Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone
罗密欧 带我去一个我们能单独在一起的地方吧
I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run
我会等待的 现在能做的只有逃跑了
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
你会成为王子而我就是公主
It's a love story
这是个爱情故事
Baby, just say yes
宝贝 你就答应我吧

So I sneak out to the garden to see you
我悄悄溜到花园去看你
We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew
我们都很安静 因为如果被他们知道我们就惨了
So close your eyes, escape this town for a little while
所以闭上你的双眼 逃离这个城市一会儿吧
Oh, oh, oh
'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter
因为你就像罗密欧 我就像"红A字"里的女主角(Hester海丝特)
And my daddy said stay away from Juliet
我爸爸说 离朱丽叶远点
But you were everything to me, I was begging you please don't go
但是你就是我的一切 我请求你不要离开

And I said
我说
Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone
罗密欧 带我去一个只有我们俩的地方吧
I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run
我会等的 我们所能做的就只有逃跑了
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
你会成为我的王子而我就是你的公主
It's a love story
这是个爱情故事
Baby, just say yes
宝贝 答应我吧
Romeo, save me, they’re trying to tell me how to feel
罗密欧 快解救我吧 他们试图告诉我如何去感受
This love is difficult, but it’s real
这段爱情困难重重 但是这是真实的爱
Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess
不要害怕 我们会摆脱困难的
It's a love story
这是个爱情故事
Baby, just say yes
宝贝 答应我吧

I got tired of waiting, wondering if you were ever coming around
我已厌倦了等待 我想知道你究竟还会不会回来
my faith in you was fading
我对你的信心也在减少
When I met you on the outskirts of town
当我在郊区遇到你
And I said
我说
Romeo, save me, I’ve been feeling so alone
罗密欧 快解救我吧 我一直感到很孤独
I keep waiting for you but you never come
我一直都在等你 但是你却没有出现
Is this in my head, I don't know what to think
我脑海里想的全是这个 我不知道还能想些什么
he knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring
他跪在地上 拿出一个戒指
And said
说道
Marry me Juliet you'll never have to be alone
嫁给我吧 朱丽叶 你不会再感到孤单了
I love you and that's all I really know
我爱你 这是我所知道的
I talked to your dad you'll pick out a white dress
我和你的爸爸谈过了 你可以挑一条白色的裙子
It's a love story
这是个爱情故事
Baby, just say yes
宝贝 答应我吧

Oh, oh, oh
We were both young when I first saw you
当我第一次见到你的时候我们都还很年轻

赞同此帖

·The root of education is bitter,but the fruit is sweet.

求知路千辛万苦,知识硕果芬芳香甜。

·All our dreams can come true,if we have the courage to pursue them.

我们所有的梦想都能实现,只要我们有勇气去追求。

·To anyone who can decide his own destiny confidence dominates his fate.

Character fortifies a wonan as her youth fades.

当女人的青春消逝时,品格在有力地支持她。

·Focus on your special talents.

将精力集中在你的特长上。

·Hardness is the chief essential of success.

坚韧不拔乃成功之本。

·Even if your life is hard to bear, you must live on to make life meaningful.

即使生活到了实在难以忍受的地步,也要活下去,使生命变得有意义。

·Don't part with your illusions.   When they are gone you may still exist,but you have ceased to live.

不要放弃梦想。当梦想没有人,你还可以生存,但你虽死犹生。

·A good book is the best of friends,the same today and forever.

好书乃挚友,情谊永不移。

·The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge.

美好的人生是有爱来激发,有知识所引导。

·A beautiful form is better than a beautiful face, a beautiful behavior than a beautiful form.

美丽的外形胜过漂亮的脸蛋,美丽的行动胜过美丽的外形。

节选于《晨读英语美文》

赞同此帖 +1

115.    You definitely have my sympathy. 我绝对同情你。
116.    We can sympathize with each other. 我们惺惺相惜。
117.    If you want to have some sympathies for me today just try to do everything with only one hand and let me know how you make out.., I only have one hand to work with today. 若要给予我同情,今天试试看用一只手干所有的活儿然后告诉我结果如何。。。我今天就只能用一只手干活儿。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

118.    She is being very wilful,she wants things her way. 她很任性要人顺着她。
119.    I am a nervous Nellie我是个胆小鬼(语境: 在冰上战战兢兢地走,唯恐摔倒)
120.    Today you got whole bunch things to do in the whole nine yards and I got nothing.  今天你得尽全力做很多事而我这儿没啥活儿。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

121. Take this job and shove it- I quit 我不干了.  (I ain't working here no more)非标准

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

常用的“Whack”
121.    I have a whack of it---那个什么的东西我有很多的。 Whack 非正式英语Informal, 意思是"很多"。
122.     His father gave him a whack across the ear. 他爸爸给了他一记耳光。 whack--打击a blow:

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

wink

赞同此帖

123.    How about I’ll give you a call when I get back home ‘cause it is very noisy here I can barely hear what is going on, you are going to be home the rest of the day?  我回到家后给你电话如何? 因为这儿好吵几乎听不见你说什么,你今天都在家吗?

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

Never Say, "I'll Give You a Call." Here's the scenario: I'm at a business mixer meeting, greeting and doing the schmoozing thing. I engage in a conversation with someone I've never met and determine this a nice person and all, but not really anyone I need to connect with beyond this evening. We exchange cards and as we part I state, "It was great to meet you, I'll give you a call."

The truth is I probably won't (You do it too so don't get on your high horse!). At business mixers we say a lot of stuff to be nice and we have to stop doing that.

http://marketingcatalyst.blogspot.com/2 … -call.html

What I should have said as we parted is, "It was great to meet you."

Long story short -- If I will actually follow up with a call then I should do that without the impromptu promise. But if I say I will call and I do not then I may be creating a reputation problem.

Long story shorter -- You will meet lots of people you're not interested in engaging further. Be real and be honest, just move on with no fake promises or niceties.

Never say, "I'll give you a call."

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

124.    He goes by( the name of) John--他叫做John

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

125.    Shibboleth ---March 7 Toastmasters meeting "今日用词”  --A word or phrase identified with a particular group or cause; a catchword. A phrase or filler that reveals our home or origin. 口语或标语

We all drink tea from one cup providing our shots are up to date 倘若我们都新近打了疫苗我们可以用同一个杯子喝茶。(March 7 演讲课里business session 被否了的动议)

providing=provided

shot-----非正式英语 (Medicine) Informal an injection, as of a vaccine or narcotic drug

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

126.    Hand it over. 交出来。
127.    Stop mimicking me 别学我 (故意学人讲话或动作)
128.    Come on let’s go out back 来吧让我们往后走。
129.    Ready, get set, go各就各位!预备!跑!
130.    You are such a worrywart  你真是杞人忧天。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

131.    I am enjoying my day!=I am having a good day
132.    Very tasty, it is not too sweet like cake这个味道很好,不像蛋糕那么甜。
133.    I will put my jammies back on and have a nap我将穿回我的睡衣小睡一会儿。
134.    He  seems to enjoy coming on his shopping excursion他看上去很享受这次购物旅行。
135.    She is very needy 她过度地需要宠爱,关心和照顾。 (她很缠人)
     Needy---Wanting or needing affection, attention, or reassurance, especially to an excessive degree

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

136.    She dropped me like  a hot potato, she ditched me. 她突然不理睬我就如我是个大麻烦。   [美国英语] [口语] 棘手的问题, 困境。
137.    You are so very sweet--- 你真的很好 someone that is kind and thoughtful(体贴)。 so 强调

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

又更新啦?我就喜欢看新鲜刚出炉的!

每一种美,都会有一双眼睛能看到;每一个真相,都有一双耳朵会听到;每一份爱,总会有一颗心会感受到。

赞同此帖

I update it almost every day.

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

138.    Let’s synchronize our watches让我们对一下时间 /表
139.    For 20 some odd years=for approximately 20 years大概20年时间
Odd--Being in excess of the indicated or approximate number, extent, or degree. Often used in combination: invited 30-odd guests.

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

wink

赞同此帖

140.    Do you have somebody coming over?  你(过一会儿)有朋友要过来?
141.    I woke up at the middle of the night, I was really nauseous, I was sick to my stomach and I had diarrhea I don’t know what the hell happened there. I am still not feeling  100%, I just feel so tired. 我半夜醒来感觉很恶心,胃很不舒服然后就拉肚子了,真见鬼了不知道怎么弄的。现在还没完全恢复过来,感觉很累。
142.    Spring forward and fall back---“往前跳,向后倒”---加拿大人每年都得调夏令时,为避免混淆,拨闹钟的顺口溜---即 "春天往前拨,秋天往后拨”。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

143.    My lips are sealed  我会守口如瓶的。否则我就: I have a big mouth 到处说人闲话,藏不住秘密的人。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

144.    I think you got tied up我想你肯定很忙。
145.    They didn’t want to cook supper, they called me and see if I want to go(to the restaurant), I said sure why not, I don’t want cooking either, so off we went. 他们不想煮晚饭,他们给我打电话看我是否想去(餐馆),我说当然,为什么不,我也不喜欢煮饭,这样我们就去了。
146.    Give me a shout I will be hear. 恭候你的来电。
147.    a lady's man 有女人缘的男人。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

[video (flash player not installed)]

[video (flash player not installed)]

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

148.    If you are sleep deprived, you start to breakdown mentally and physically, so you don’t have a right sleep  or enough sleep, you are not good for anything  如果你睡眠不足,你精神上和身体上都会开始受不了的,没有满意的睡眠或睡眠不足啥事情都做不好.  (unable to  have a good sleep won't do your health any good) 
149.    It is getting sunny out now. 现在外面正阳光明媚。

150.     I already went for my walk in a pouring rain this morning. 今早我已经在大雨中完成了我的散步活动。

151.    The sun was coming out, no rain, it’s kind of nice and it wasn’t really windy or cold.太阳出来了,没下雨,天气相当好。没有风也不是很冷。

152.    With the umbrella and rain coat I was perfectly fine.  打着伞穿着雨衣感觉很棒。

153.    When I was out, it was quite nice, it was easy to walk, most of the sidewalks were cleared, and it’s nice to put my sneakers back on instead of boots. 出去的时候天气很好,路面很容易走,人行道上没雪了(根据语境),穿回运动鞋而不是靴子感觉也很好。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

Toastmaster Project 9: Persuade with Power
Objectives:
- Persuade listeners to adopt your viewpoint or ideas or to take some action
- Appeal to the audience's interests
- Use logic and emotion to support your position
- Avoid using notes

Time: 5 - 7 minutes

P 9: Follow your heart

Good evening Club President, District Officers, fellow toastmasters, friends and guests,

One day, the heart and the head had an argument over who was mightier. The head said "I could help you weigh the pros and cons and you will be able to make the best decision." The heart replied "If I were to stop working, you would too."

Many a time, we are at a dilemma whether should appeal to our emotions or our intellectual knowledge when making a choice. Four years ago, I was faced with the decision of putting my career on hold and uprooting my entire family to the United States. If I were to follow my head, I would have stayed in Singapore. But it was the heart that I followed, the love for my family brought me to experience a very different life and unleash the giant within me.

Before my stay in the States, I used to have a domestic helper. Even then, I always felt inadequate. Today, I am a full-time working mother with no maid and I cook dinner everyday for my family. Even though it is not very tasty, it is definitely a much healthier choice. I am glad that I followed my heart.

There is no shortage of examples of how ordinary men and women can perform extraordinary feat. We have Mother Theresa who for 45 years, ministered to the poor, sick, orphan and dying. Her passion is to care. Cliff Young – who in 1983 beat world-class athletes and broke the record for the 875 km Sydney Melbourne ultra marathon, even though, he was then a 61-year old farmer. Professor Andrew Wiles - who solved the 300-year old Mathematics problem known as Fermat’s Last Theorem. All this is only possible with passion.

Moving home, let me share with the story of David Lim, a professional mountain climber. While working in a law firm in London, David fell in love with mountain climbing. His heart was in the mountains when he returned to Singapore in a newspaper job. He dreamt to scale Mount Everest - with a summit of 8,848 metre - a vast difference from Singapore's highest point at Bukit Timah - a wooded hillock of only 164 metre above sea level.

He followed his heart and made his head work for his dream. For five long years from 1994 to 1998, he planned painstakingly for the eventual Mount Everest climb. Success he found in 1998 which was only after a series of nail-biting setbacks and mishaps.

But life dealt a hard blow on him shortly. He was inflicted with the rare and mysterious nerve disorder, "Gullain-Barre" Syndrome. His body literally wasted away as the disorder shut down all his limbs and respiratory system. He was paralysed for 6 months and had to re-learn simple tasks such as writing, dressing and walking.

The syndrome had left an indelible mark on him. He now walks and climbs with a limp. But his love for mountain climbing spurs him on. Today, he is a renowned mountain climber and a much sought after motivational speaker.

I heard him speak a few months back and I am really glad he has branched out into public speaking. For otherwise, I would not have known such a great man. I am inspired by his tenacity to stage a comeback in mountain climbing despite the permanent disability that the syndrome has left behind. Mountain climbing is a strenuous sport even for the well-bodied let alone the physically-challenged. For David, what goads him is his love, his passion for the sport. This is what David once wrote on what drives mountain climbers to scale greater heights. "It is the unknown in our hearts that drives us to the next peak. It is the need to know what our limits are."

Ladies and gentlemen, I will like to ask you why do you join the Toastmasters' Club? Many will say they want to improve their public speaking skills. But that is not the underlying reason. To use a metaphor, that is only the rocket. Passion is the fuel that propels the rocket. For me, my fuel is my love for my children. I want to be a better story teller and to be a good role model to them.

Passion is like a light that will guide us out of darkness. This is especially important with the state of the current world economy. When you follow your passion, one door will lead to another and you will never know where life will take you to. Just like David, who would have thought that someone in the city-state Singapore could eke out a living from mountain climbing. What could have given David the strength to defy all odds to climb again? It is passion.

I will urge you to look into your heart and ask yourself what you really enjoy doing. For when you follow your passion, you will be able to give your best. And you will not need to work a single day in your life.

Life is fragile, life is unpredictable. That makes it even more important for us to follow our heart, to live life to the fullest.

Toastmaster of the Evening
source: http://aileen-chua.blogspot.com/2009/04 … -with.html

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

今天的演讲主题: Pet Peeves---What Irks You
我的工作: Toastmaster 介绍 prepared speakers上台来演讲, 今天的其中一个演讲由我们分会的主席来完成,是一个说服型演讲,Preoject 来自competent communication 手册,第9课,Persuade with Power. 5-7 minutes. 题目: Get out and Vote May 2012.  这个演讲的理由: It's about the municipal elections coming up in 14 months time.   He is speaking on this because while he  loves the city he is increasingly frustrated with the way citizens are being treated by council and city management. It’s hard to park all the vehicles, yet we  can’t park on the street overnight or risk a ticket.  And still the streets are not cleared very well.  He says that streets make us look like a ghost town in the winter with a lack of parked cars. 
他呼吁听众能密切留意14个月后Saint John的市政选举,希望听众多多支持关于公路维修,扒车,干净用水等与我们生活息息相关的事情。.。。。 主持人的要求之一: if you wish, you may comment on some aspect of the presentation or itis appropriateness, 所以我说: 感谢你的演讲和提醒,我想我们要留意的不单是这个即将来临的市政选举,漫长的冬天过后,我们眼下驾车更加需要留意路上的potholes, Saint John现时的路况真不是很好    hmm 

今天用词: Emphatic

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

the pros and cons 赞成&反对的理由、票数、赞成者&反对者

赞同此帖

154.    ...Just want to keep us in touch as the year winds down.。。。 随着学期接近尾声只想大家保持一下联系

155.    The baby is really bunged up/bound up/ constipated. If a baby is bunged up a banana will help with bowel movements.

便秘: Bunged up=bound up =constipated ,   Bunged up=bound up口语常用。

bound up with someone or something deeply concerned or involved with someone or something. He's so bound up with his work, he has time for nothing else. Andrew is bound up with his girlfriend and has time for no one else

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

156. I weight  quite a bit 我挺重的。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

157. I am a little bit upset 我有点儿不开心。

a little bit 是美语,等于a bit ,a little.修饰不可数名词和形容词,副词

He upset me a little bit.    这里的a little bit 不可置前

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

158. talk with 与talk to
Usage varies, but generally 'talk to' indicates the simple action (as opposed to remaining silent), while 'talk with' suggests an extended conversation. Talk to指动作,talk with持续讲话。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

159.    They are the bane of my existence—they are  the pain in my neck---thorn in my side 它们是我的眼中钉肉中刺。
160.    I did not want to make a fuss  我不想提出异议,无事自扰
161.    We should dunk the Scottish biscotti  我们应该浸一浸Scottish biscotti  再吃
[美方](吃前)把(面包、饼等)在汤[饮料]中浸一浸
       biscotti是烘焙两次的饼干 口感酥脆坚硬。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

春天来了,抓紧时间做晨运。。。做传统的中国晨运:

"If you're over 40 you'll definitely want to read this. If you're in your 20s or 30s you'll still benefit enormously from Chinese health exercises as they:
•    Limber & strengthen your muscles & joints
•    Invigorate your internal organs
•    Improve digestion, circulation & elimination
•    Deepen & regulate your breathing
•    Calm your mind & balance your emotions
... all of which, when you do the exercises regularly, lengthen your lifespan.
"

http://ezinearticles.com/?Daily-Exercis … &id=135687

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

Women's Rights Are Human Rights Famous Speech by Hillary ClintonBeijing, China: 5 September 1995
Mrs. Mongella, Under Secretary Kittani, distinguished delegates and guests:

I would like to thank the Secretary General of the United Nations for inviting me to be part of the United Nations Fourth World Conference on Women. This is truly a celebration - a celebration of the contributions women make in every aspect of life: in the home, on the job, in their communities, as mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, learners, workers, citizens and leaders.

It is also a coming together, much the way women come together every day in every country.

We come together in fields and in factories. In village markets and supermarkets. In living rooms and board rooms.

Whether it is while playing with our children in the park, or washing clothes in a river, or taking a break at the office water cooler, we come together and talk about our aspirations and concerns. And time and again, our talk turns to our children and our families. However different we may be, there is far more that unites us than divides us. We share a common future. And we are here to find common ground so that we may help bring new dignity and respect to women and girls all over the world - and in so doing, bring new strength and stability to families as well.

By gathering in Beijing, we are focusing world attention on issues that matter most in the lives of women and their families: access to education, health care, jobs and credit, the chance to enjoy basic legal and human rights and participate fully in the political life of their countries.

There are some who question the reason for this conference.

Let them listen to the voices of women in their homes, neighborhoods, and workplaces.

There are some who wonder whether the lives of women and girls matter to economic and political progress around the globe.

Let them look at the women gathered here and at Huairou - the homemakers, nurses, teachers, lawyers, policymakers, and women who run their own businesses.

It is conferences like this that compel governments and people everywhere to listen, look and face the world's most pressing problems.

Wasn't it after the women's conference in Nairobi ten years ago that the world focused for the first time on the crisis of domestic violence?

Earlier today, I participated in a World Health Organization forum, where government officials, NGOs, and individual citizens are working on ways to address the health problems of women and girls.

Tomorrow, I will attend a gathering of the United Nations Development Fund for Women. There, the discussion will focus on local - and highly successful - programs that give hard-working women access to credit so they can improve their own lives and the lives of their families.

What we are learning around the world is that if women are healthy and educated, their families will flourish. If women are free from violence, their families will flourish. If women have a chance to work and earn as full and equal partners in society, their families will flourish.

And when families flourish, communities and nations will flourish.

That is why every woman, every man, every child, every family, and every nation on our planet has a stake in the discussion that takes place here.

Over the past 25 years, I have worked persistently on issues relating to women, children and families. Over the past two-and-a-half years, I have had the opportunity to learn more about the challenges facing women in my own country and around the world.

I have met new mothers in Jojakarta, Indonesia, who come together regularly in their village to discuss nutrition, family planning, and baby care.

I have met working parents in Denmark who talk about the comfort they feel in knowing that their children can be cared for in creative, safe, and nurturing after-school centers.

I have met women in South Africa who helped lead the struggle to end apartheid and are now helping build a new democracy.

I have met with the leading women of the Western Hemisphere who are working every day to promote literacy and better health care for the children of their countries.

I have met women in India and Bangladesh who are taking out small loans to buy milk cows, rickshaws, thread and other materials to create a livelihood for themselves and their families.

I have met doctors and nurses in Belarus and Ukraine who are trying to keep children alive in the aftermath of Chernobyl.

The great challenge of this Conference is to give voice to women everywhere whose experiences go unnoticed, whose words go unheard.

Women comprise more than half the world's population. Women are 70% percent of the world's poor, and two-thirds of those who are not taught to read and write.

Women are the primary caretakers for most of the world's children and elderly. Yet much of the work we do is not valued - not by economists, not by historians, not by popular culture, not by government leaders.

At this very moment, as we sit here, women around the world are giving birth, raising children, cooking meals, washing clothes, cleaning houses, planting crops, working on assembly lines, running companies, and running countries.

Women also are dying from diseases that should have been prevented or treated; they are watching their children succumb to malnutrition caused by poverty and economic deprivation; they are being denied the right to go to school by their own fathers and brothers; they are being forced into prostitution, and they are being barred from the bank lending office and banned from the ballot box.

Those of us who have the opportunity to be here have the responsibility to speak for those who could not.

As an American, I want to speak up for women in my own country - women who are raising children on the minimum wage, women who can't afford health care or child care, women whose lives are threatened by violence, including violence in their own homes.

I want to speak up for mothers who are fighting for good schools, safe neighborhoods, clean air and clean airwaves; for older women, some of them widows, who have raised their families and now find that their skills and life experiences are not valued in the workplace; for women who are working all night as nurses, hotel clerks, and fast food cooks so that they can be at home during the day with their kids; and for women everywhere who simply don't have time to do everything they are called upon to do each day.

Speaking to you today, I speak for them, just as each of us speaks for women around the world who are denied the chance to go to school, or see a doctor, or own property, or have a say about the direction of their lives, simply because they are women. The truth is that most women around the world work both inside and outside the home, usually by necessity.

We need to understand that there is no formula for how women should lead their lives. That is why we must respect the choices that each woman makes for herself and her family. Every woman deserves the chance to realize her God-given potential.

We also must recognize that women will never gain full dignity until their human rights are respected and protected.

Our goals for this Conference, to strengthen families and societies by empowering women to take greater control over their own destinies, cannot be fully achieved unless all governments - here and around the world - accept their responsibility to protect and promote internationally recognized human rights.

The international community has long acknowledged - and recently affirmed at Vienna - that both women and men are entitled to a range of protections and personal freedoms, from the right of personal security to the right to determine freely the number and spacing of the children they bear.

No one should be forced to remain silent for fear of religious or political persecution, arrest, abuse or torture.

Tragically, women are most often the ones whose human rights are violated.

Even in the late 20th century, the rape of women continues to be used as an instrument of armed conflict. Women and children make up a large majority of the world's refugees. When women are excluded from the political process, they become even more vulnerable to abuse.

I believe that, on the eve of a new millennium, it is time to break our silence. It is time for us to say here in Beijing, and the world to hear, that it is no longer acceptable to discuss women's rights as separate from human rights.

These abuses have continued because, for too long, the history of women has been a history of silence. Even today, there are those who are trying to silence our words.

The voices of this conference and of the women at Huairou must be heard loud and clear: It is a violation of human rights when babies are denied food, or drowned, or suffocated, or their spines broken, simply because they are born girls.

It is a violation of human rights when women and girls are sold into the slavery of prostitution.

It is a violation of human rights when women are doused with gasoline, set on fire and burned to death because their marriage dowries are deemed too small.

It is a violation of human rights when individual women are raped in their own communities and when thousands of women are subjected to rape as a tactic or prize of war.

It is a violation of human rights when a leading cause of death worldwide among women ages 14 to 44 is the violence they are subjected to in their own homes.

It is a violation of human rights when young girls are brutalized by the painful and degrading practice of genital mutilation.

It is a violation of human rights when women are denied the right to plan their own families, and that includes being forced to have abortions or being sterilized against their will.

If there is one message that echoes forth from this conference, it is that human rights are women's rights - and women's rights are human rights. Let us not forget that among those rights are the right to speak freely - and the right to be heard.

Women must enjoy the right to participate fully in the social and political lives of their countries if we want freedom and democracy to thrive and endure.

It is indefensible that many women in nongovernmental organizations who wished to participate in this conference have not been able to attend - or have been prohibited from fully taking part.

Let me be clear. Freedom means the right of people to assemble, organize, and debate openly. It means respecting the views of those who may disagree with the views of their governments. It means not taking citizens away from their loved ones and jailing them, mistreating them, or denying them their freedom or dignity because of the peaceful expression of their ideas and opinions.

In my country, we recently celebrated the 75th anniversary of women's suffrage. It took 150 years after the signing of our Declaration of Independence for women to win the right to vote.

It took 72 years of organized struggle on the part of many courageous women and men. It was one of America's most divisive philosophical wars. But it was also a bloodless war. Suffrage was achieved without a shot being fired.

We have also been reminded, in V-1 Day observances last weekend, of the good that comes when men and women join together to combat the forces of tyranny and build a better world.

We have seen peace prevail in most places for a half century. We have avoided another world war.

But we have not solved older, deeply-rooted problems that continue to diminish the potential of half the world's population.

Now it is time to act on behalf of women everywhere. If we take bold steps to better the lives of women, we will be taking bold steps to better the lives of children and families too.

Families rely on mothers and wives for emotional support and care; families rely on women for labor in the home; and increasingly, families rely on women for income needed to raise healthy children and care for other relatives.

As long as discrimination and inequities remain so commonplace around the world - as long as girls and women are valued less, fed less, fed last, overworked, underpaid, not schooled and subjected to violence in and out of their homes - the potential of the human family to create a peaceful, prosperous world will not be realized.

Let this Conference be our - and the world's - call to action.

And let us heed the call so that we can create a world in which every woman is treated with respect and dignity, every boy and girl is loved and cared for equally, and every family has the hope of a strong and stable future.

Thank you very much.

God's blessings on you, your work and all who will benefit from it.

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

162.    Did you try the cup cake? The cake is good but I did not like the icing, the bottom part I thought it was good.  你试了那个杯形蛋糕了吗? 蛋糕挺好可我不喜欢那个酥皮,我认为底下那部分挺好。
(糕点上面的)糖霜, 酥皮
163.    I will be ready at 8 o’clock sharp. 我八点钟准时恭候
164.    bum a drive 蹭个便车
165.    He keeps hinting me…他不停地暗示我。。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

166.    I don’t have anything different 我的东西也是一样的
167.    Well, she is just  gonna learn how to live with it, isn’t she?  嗯,她只好学着去忍受了,不是吗?
168.    I am  getting sick, I don’t want to make anybody sick 我生病了,不想传染给别人。
169.    My legs are still hurting 我的腿还痛。
171.    He won his match but very tough match. 他赢了比赛但是险胜。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

高口
Generous at first,he became stingy with his money after marriage.

起初他慷慨大方,但婚后变得吝啬钱财。

Although credit cards are becoming a more acceptable part of the financial scene, they are still regarded with suspicion by many as being a major part of "live now,pay later"syndrome.
尽管信用卡已经成为金融业越来越“受宠”的支付方式,但许多人依旧心存疑虑,把它看成是“寅吃卯粮”生活方式的主要表现。

赞同此帖

Love in its most concrete sense is a primary emotion essential to the preservation of the species.
爱的具体意义而言,是指能够使物种保存延续下来的最基本的情感。

sense 在句中为 意义,意味, man指男人。女人。广义。
in a sense 意味就某种意义(或某方面)来说。
e.g.
You are right in a  sense,but you  don't know all the facts.

172.    Soft mouth----The term soft mouth is used by breeders and users of hunting dogs to refer to a behavioral tendency to pick up, hold, and carry quarry gently.       A soft mouthed dog will pick up and hold game softly but firmly on the retrieve.
173. Shit disturber--- an individual who creates unnecessary conflict and unhappiness where it is especially not required. 无事生非,无中生有,唯恐天下不乱的家伙。
The Cat in the Hat is a shit disturber and should be killed TEN times for good measure.
174.    I put on my break---我踩刹车闸了。 I drive my bicycle, I drive my shopping cart, and I drive you crazy. 我骑自行车,我推购物车,我让你发疯。
175.    I give XXX a lot a credits that way; she is a pretty good wife. 在这方面我给予XXX肯定,他是一个好老婆。
Give credit---Acknowledge an accomplishment, as in They really should give her credit for the work she's done.

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖