回复: 日常英语口语--2月至3月 (记录生活中的妙语,俗语,日常语,不拘一格)

I'd like to welcome my friends to my house, because I'm a hospitable lady but I don't like to clean up.

My friends are coming to my place to drink Chinese Kung Fu tea this morning, so I have to straighten all my rooms up a lot. They have not been my house yet. I wanna make my home cozy and lovely even though it is easy to be messy up.

After they left, I kept all the rooms messy untill they come Next week. lol  lol  lol

最后由 红袖添香 (2011-02-15 16:33:34) 修改

每一种美,都会有一双眼睛能看到;每一个真相,都有一双耳朵会听到;每一份爱,总会有一颗心会感受到。

赞同此帖

41.    On the way going to our friend’s place to have tea and chat this morning I and my other friend picked up some timbits at the Tim Hortons close  to my place. I asked my friend if I could get her a coffee she said no she had already had one earlier. At the pickup window after I picked up my order I found that the car in front of me did not move a bit so I was a little bit irritated. Sneaking carefully into the other lane which is very narrow I found that the driver of that car was talking on his cell phone!  Staying on a busy drive- thru talking without giving a signal, that is crazy!   I was speechless so I didn’t say a word. I quickly glanced at the driver as I passed. We left Tim Hortons and kept heading to where our friend lives.

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

红袖添香 写:

I'd like to welcome my friends to my house, because I'm a hospitable lady but I don't like to clean up.

My friends are coming to my place to drink Chinese Kung Fu tea this morning, so I have to straighten all my rooms up a lot. They have not been my house yet. I wanna make my home cozy and lovely even though it is easy to be messy up.

After they left, I kept all the rooms messy untill they come Next week. lol  lol  lol

lol That is awesome! Good good study day day up!

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

整理整理可以出书了

赞同此帖

42.    My hands and my mind are going in two different directions=I am in the  La La Land 我心不在焉。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

王靖侥 写:

整理整理可以出书了

tongue  洛阳纸贵

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

Romina 写:
王靖侥 写:

整理整理可以出书了

tongue  洛阳纸贵

话虽如此但事在人为,目前先支持一下R宝的电子书。我这人别的兴趣米有。但好书一定要入手。

Romina 写:
王靖侥 写:

整理整理可以出书了

tongue  洛阳纸贵

加拿大纸不贵。

庙堂之则忧其民,江湖之则忧其君,进亦忧退亦然则何如哉。

赞同此帖

43.    Watch the guy coming there.注意那人他要路过。
44.     I don’t want to run over him.我不想撞到他。
45.     That is why I am trying to be your second set of eyes. 这是为什么我帮你看着点儿。
46.    Tiger Wood  just got a great big fine for spitting.老虎乌滋因吐口水被罚了一大笔。
47.    If you got to do something park somewhere else…he is on the phone! I have road  range. 如果你一定要做别的事情吧你就先趴别地方嘛。。。他在讲电话! 我有公路狂躁症。

48.    What a day! We got idiots and we got normal folks. 今天什么日子?碰到白痴又遇到好人/正常人。
49.    lovely aroma!好香! (语境: 说反话,即很臭!) (开车经过"暗香浮动"的Saint John west造纸厂)   

"In 1996, Irving Paper voluntarily started participating in a Regional Sulphur Dioxide Response Plan initiative in an effort to reduce
the ambient sulphur dioxide concentrations in the Saint John area. This plan specifies the weight percent content of sulphur in the
fuel that can be burned by their boilers at certain times of the year. This ensures that their sulphur dioxide emissions are lowered
which in turn results in lower ambient sulphur dioxide levels."

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

50.    Since I left university until half a year ago I hadn't studied English. 大学毕业后我一直没碰过英语直到半年前。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

长乘宽 写:
Romina 写:
王靖侥 写:

整理整理可以出书了

tongue  洛阳纸贵

加拿大纸不贵。

加拿大的书贵。

赞同此帖

我气急败坏地 写:
长乘宽 写:
Romina 写:

tongue  洛阳纸贵

加拿大纸不贵。

加拿大的书贵。

lol

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

51.      What it is is it got some what they are called Trojans. I don’t have a lot of things, you know,  on my computer, I don’t have a lot of files, I got a lot of pictures, that is about it.  事情是这样的,就是我电脑里有那个叫什么木马的东西。我电脑里没有很多东西,没有很多文件,我有很多照片,大致如此

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

52.    What they can do, I tell you honestly, what does this education agent can do there in XXX is just to get your documents, and all those documents they just follow what are the requirement from the embassy, they just submit that  and they don’t guarantee that you will get your visa or not. 他们能做的,我老实的告诉你,中介能在XXX做的只是帮你取文件,而所有这些文件他们只是按领事馆的要求去做,他们只提交文件而且不保证你是否能拿到签证。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

王靖侥 写:
Romina 写:
王靖侥 写:

整理整理可以出书了

tongue  洛阳纸贵

话虽如此但事在人为,目前先支持一下R宝的电子书。我这人别的兴趣米有。但好书一定要入手。

电子书让我想到电子老鼠夹,前几天我老师的老婆说我老师给她买电子老鼠夹作为情人节礼物。  ultrasonic mouse trap,the cheapest one  in Canadian Tire,   lol   靠声音吓跑老鼠。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

53.    You are making a mountain out of  mole hills.你真是小题大做。
54.    How are you doing? Same old, same old (informal) 过得怎么样? 还是老样子 (强调一样的无趣乏味)
            Pretty much the same 差不多吧,没什么改变

Same old, same old---Used to say that a situation or someone's behaviour remains the same, especially when it is boring or annoying. A familiar, uninteresting, or tedious situation, activity, narrative, or set of facts. Most people just carry on doing the same old same old every day.

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

55.    I really enjoyed that, you know, just the conversation that I thought it was very nice. But we are still making  a day you and I prefer as a movie day.  我很享受那天,我想仅只是聊天就非常的好了。但我们还是得要找一天我和你一起看电影。
56.    This is a courtesy call. 这是礼节性问候电话。
57.    She is the girl on the run, she has my admiration and you look so lazy. 她很忙的,我很羡慕她而你看上去太懒了。
58.    We didn’t get the royal tour. (皇家成员还没有视察/访问)(去拜访朋友但时间关系朋友还没带我们参观各处)

Royal Tours----
"Members of the royal family have been frequent visitors to Canada, beginning as early as 1786 when Prince William (the future King William IV) came to the country as part of a naval contingent serving in North America and the West Indies. Queen Victoria's father, Edward, Duke of Kent, had long stays in Canada between 1791 and 1800, on military duties or as commander of British North American troops. Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), conducted the first official royal visit to what is now Canada in 1860. During a 2-month tour of Newfoundland, the Maritimes and the then province of Canada (later Ontario and Québec), highlighted by the opening of the Victoria Bridge between the Island of Montréal and the south shore of the St Lawrence River, and the laying of the cornerstone for the Parliament Building in Ottawa, the prince was honoured as a visible symbol of monarchy and empire. The next major royal tour was that of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (later King George V and Queen Mary) in 1901. This was the first transcontinental tour, and demonstrated the "steel of empire" significance of the CPR. The popular Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII), made official tours of Canada in 1919 and 1927 in addition to private visits to his Alberta ranch.
In May and June 1939 King George VI and Queen Elizabeth made the first visit of a reigning monarch to Canada. The extensive tour was planned to solidify Canadian support for Britain on the eve of WWII. The Princess Elizabeth, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, made her first royal visit to Canada in 1951.
The Queen's symbolic associations have been less popular in Québec, where at one time President Charles de Gaulle of France was given what amounted to a royal welcome in Québec City. PM John TURNER's request that Queen Elizabeth delay her visit to avoid the political campaigning of the summer of 1984 caused a mild controversy. During the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, royal visits have become fairly frequent. The Queen herself has visited Canada on 19 occasions since her first visit in 1957, each province and territory having received Her Majesty at least once. The Queen has attended the celebrations of the 100th and 125th anniversaries of Confederation as well as provincial and territorial anniversaries of importance. She has opened Parliament on 2 occasions (1959 and 1977), proclaimed the Constitution Act in 1982 patriating Canada's constitution, and presided at the official opening of international events held in Canada (the Games of the XXI Olympiad in Montréal in 1976; the Commonwealth Games in Edmonton in 1978 and in Victoria in 1994).

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

58.    I prefer chatting face to face, you know, I can act some words out by hand motions and facial gestures. 我更喜欢面对面的聊天, 这样我可以用手动作和面部表情来表达我要说的。(老师讲到网上聊天和面对面的聊天)
Act out---To perform in or as if in a play; represent dramatically: act out a story.

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

很实用

赞同此帖

王靖侥 写:

很实用

smile

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

59.    He is in my dog house 他令我生气,我对他生气了 (我生气我让他住狗屋)

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

刚刚回到家,I am dog tired!

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

60.    She is not stupid, that girl, let me tell you, XXX, we came in, we came down the escalator she took me to the toy store to show me that I don’t forget what gift she wants for her birthday. She went to the store and picked out one thing she wanted for her birthday, but today she said 2 things.XXX,这个女孩一点都不笨,告诉你。我们进来的时候,我们从那个电梯下来的,她带我去那个玩具店告诉我别忘了她所要的生日礼物。(那次)她进入店内挑了一个她想要的生日礼物可今天她说要两个。
61.    You’re just like foolishness. 你象个小蠢蛋(没找到对应的中文,暂时用 “蠢蛋”)。
62.    There is nothing hard about today, she did wonderful, we got through one. We got one done and that was enough. Sealing is very quick and easy and it helps prevent cavities. So that is all what we did today. We wanted to do four but it was not going to happen. 今天一点都不难,她表现很好。我们帮她修了一颗(牙)。我们做了一颗,足够了。焊接是很快很容易的而且焊接后可以有助于防止出现牙洞。我们今天就做了那么多了。我们其实需要做四颗的,但今天不可能了。
63.       The sealing has a little…ah, like a taste afterwards and it goes away if she gets something to eat.焊接(牙)后有点点那个。。。嗯,会有点味儿的,吃点东西后就会消失的。
64.    I am going to send him a letter and ask him to see her. She is not quite ready to have…like that dental chair is not very easy.我将给他(那个医生)发信让他来看她。那个牙科治疗椅对她来说还不是很合适。
65.    XXX good job! Give me five! That wasn’t too bad, was it? No! that was easy, you did great!
66.    What are we going to do is we are going to just continue at home brushing and flossing and good dining at meal times, and anything sticky and stuck in or out that needs brushing and flossing.我们将要做的是继续在家刷牙和做牙线和吃饭时间好好吃饭。任何里外黏牙上的东西都需要刷和做牙线。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

这里更不轻松,算了,还是去看电影吧。。。。

无心快语   无所能及

赞同此帖

无心快语 写:

这里更不轻松,算了,还是去看电影吧。。。。

If only I could enjoy life like you do如果我能像你那么会享受生活该多好。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

67.    户外活动,人有三急时候可以用以下:  port-a-potty.流动厕所    Outhouse,[美]屋外厕所

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

以下关于猫和狗的表达,除了"It’s like herding cats" 这句不常用,其余皆常用。

Cat expression    
Looks like the cat that ate the canary
Play cat and mouse with someone
Looks like something  the cat dragged in
The cat’s meow
Fraidy cat/scaredy cat =chicken(小孩子说的)
Copycat
Cat nap
Let the cat out of the bag
The cat has got your tongue
When the cats away(the mice will play)
Curiosity killed the cat
Not enough room to swing a cat
It’s like herding cats 这句不常用,其余皆常用
Like a cat on a hot tin roof
More nervous than a long-tailed cat is in a room full of rockers.

Dog ExpressionsTo lead a dog’s life
Dog eat dog world
Work like a dog
Every dog has its day
You can’t teach an old dog new tricks
His bark is worse than his bite
In the dog house
Let sleeping dog lie
The dog days of summer
It’s training cats and dogs
Meaner than a junkyard dog

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

理解说话者的意思很多时候得看语境,譬如:
69.    My grandchildren’s grandfather, not me, that sounds strange. 我孙儿们的爷爷(如果说话者是外公),不是我,(这样的说法)听上去怪怪的的。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

70.    When tv first started, the shows when they were recorded they were actually live, like you are watching something on tv, it was actually live, like entertainment shows.刚有电视的时候,电视节目都是现场录制的,就如你现在看电视里那些娱乐节目一样都是现场录制的。
71.    Tennessee Ernie Ford…  He(the singer) is singing to these children and it is a live show, the little boy beside him is his son, he is only 4 years old , he gets into the song like starts to snap fingers and dancing stuff and the father is trying to frown him down, it is very funny.  他对那帮小孩唱歌是现场录制的节目,那个在他身旁的小孩是他4岁的儿子,这孩子非常的投入歌曲中,譬如他开始弄响指和跳舞等等,而那个当爹的尽量抑制他不让他太夸张,很有趣儿。
Frown down 用皱眉蹙额压制住(反对者等使不敢讲话)
get into很投入,对...发生兴趣。
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drYeE1VGR6I

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

72.    I got to get the slow cooker from you…No great hurry, someday this week. 我得从你那处拿回我的慢煮锅…不是很急,这周的某天吧。

73.    My sister works all week so It is kind of hard for her to come for the supper through the week, because, you know, yourself, by the time you work all day you feel  like just going home and put on your pyjamas. 我妹妹整周都工作所以平时很难过来吃饭,因为,你也知道,你自己工作了一整天后你只想回家然后换上睡衣。
74.    I thought we could have a movie here. 我以为我们可以在这里(我家)看电影呢?
75.    My shoulders are getting stiff and sore. 我的肩膀又疼又僵。
76.    Yeah, there was a lot of work yesterday; a lot of chopping and pealing, you know, that is a lot of work on your shoulders. 是的,昨天太多活干了,削皮切片的一大堆活儿,肩膀受了很多力。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

平时听电台节目或面对面的与老外聊天我注意到不少人用"You know, you know, hmm, ah, er, so,  um, well"等这些 pause fillers。 Pause fillers-- 停顿填充词语.   在演说课里每次开会都专门有一位会员担任ah counter负责数发言者的pause fillers然后在会议结束前给大家作一个小报告,让发言者知道他们在会议过程中到底用了多少pause fillers.   少用pause fillers的好处是:  除非你要向你的听众表示你对你的演讲缺乏信心和准备,停顿填充词用得越少越好。出现太多的pause fillers肯定会影响演讲的效果。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

77.    They fly up to the sky  他们飞上了天。
78.    I booked my plane for out west. 我订了去西部的机票。
79.    I don’t possess a credential 我不具有证书。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

从你这总能学到东西。真好。
话说我看电影也不轻松。因为我会注意里面的演员说话方式和台词。同样在学习。
如果是国内的电影我就看化妆和服饰。没有俊男美女或者情节不好我通常没兴趣看。

赞同此帖

王靖侥 写:

从你这总能学到东西。真好。
话说我看电影也不轻松。因为我会注意里面的演员说话方式和台词。同样在学习。
如果是国内的电影我就看化妆和服饰。没有俊男美女或者情节不好我通常没兴趣看。

same here. 上一次看的中国电影是<<独拉拉升职记>>。里面好多美女没有帅哥服饰好潮很青春。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

表示感激的说法: 
80.    I appreciate it 我很感激
81.    I'm very appreciative.   Means I hereby express my appreciation. 我特此感激,我非常感激(语境: 别人帮了大忙时候正式地说)。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

82.    Everything seems to be going very good. 一切看起来都很顺利。
83.    Whatever day you come up so you  can make sure that they don’t get the  wrong command, like it got all the instructions here but they are afraid of doing the wrong thing so they  will wait to down load that till you get there.  Rather the one is working than the one is screwing up. 无论哪天你过来你可以确保他们不会获取错误的指令(电脑指令),所有电脑的指示都在那了但是他们害怕操作错了所以他们等你过去之后才下载。宁愿要个管用的而不要个麻烦的。

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

UNTIL, TILL AND ’TIL----都是"直到...为止"的意思,
until 比 till 较为正式, till 是日常口语常听到的, til 前面没加单引号被认为是错误的用法。

"From Michael Kearns: I have always believed that the shortened form of until was ’til. However, my father recently asked me for my thoughts, as someone had tried to convince him it should be spelled till as in ‘eight till late’. On consulting his dictionary, that was indeed the only definition that could be found. We would be very grateful if you could clear up this situation for us.

A The status of ’til versus until and till is often argued about and most style guides have something to say on the matter.

The most common belief is that till is a shortened form of until. You can see how this could have grown up, but the truth of the matter is that till is by far the older word, being recorded from about the year 800, while it took another 400 years for until to appear in the language (it’s a compound of till with the archaic Old Norse und, as far as, which also survives in the archaic unto). But the first sense of till was to, as it still can be, for example, in Scots and some dialects. Though the modern sense of till in standard English is always connected with time, this only appeared about 1300.

The current position is that until is the more common of the two words and is generally considered to be slightly more formal, which is why it turns up more often in edited prose. It is also rather more likely to appear at the beginning of a sentence than is till. But till is perfectly good English and the choice of whether to use it or until is often decided by the rhythm of the sentence.

Your father’s version, ’til, has been created within the past century by people who believe that till is an abbreviation of until and want to mark it as such. It has often been said by style guides and dictionaries that it’s a mistake and it arouses passion in some people. Most recent writers on language prefer to describe it as an informal version of until — it often turns up in newspapers, advertising and song lyrics, for example, and in informal set phrases like “shop ’til you drop”, “It ain’t over ’til it’s over” or “ ’Til we meet again”. But to use the spelling til without the preceding apostrophe is still regarded as wrong.
"
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-unt1.htm

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

wink

赞同此帖

今天演讲的主题是爬山—Climbing Mountains in Life. 一个刚去尼泊尔爬喜马拉雅山回来的同学做他的爬山经历演讲。 今天我的任务是 quizmaster负责问问题. Quizmaster: The role of the quizmaster is to listen intently to everything that is said during the meeting and to create questions to ask audience. These questions are intended to test the audience’s listening skills.  As the meeting progresses quizmaster makes notes/questions based on what speakers say or done and ask members at the end of the meeting. One of the core skills people learn at Toastmasters is listening.
我问的问题: What is his favorite part of the trip? Where did he spend his toughest day? Did the weather change quickly or slowly?  How much can those guys carry? What power do people use in the valley? etc. 诸如此类。

今日用词:Boundless。 boundless scenery, boundless energy
关于笑话部分,今天的Joker是一位参加Toastmasters 超过30年的老先生,他讲了一个来自荷兰移民闹的笑话:  移民都不容易,刚来时候英语不好,一个荷兰男人到牙医诊所约时间看牙,他上去对接待员说:  “I would like  to make a date”, “I want a date” 那个接待员说: “I am sorry I am married”. “I don’t care, but I want to have a date with you”. 搞了半天接待员终于明白人家只想book an appointment而已. 如此这般。

The difference between a DATE and an APPOINTMENT:  one of the words describes a private rendezvous while the other is a formal meeting. Date是私人约会,男女约会,私事。Appointment是正式场合的约会,约见,公事。

"Usually, in the context of spoken English, they have a different connotation.
They both involve two people agreeing to meet at a specific time and place.

"To make a date" connotes the meeting of two lovers, or two people who want to become romantically involved.
"I'm going to call Mary, and ask her to go on a date with me."
"I think you're really pretty, and nice. Let's make a date and go out to a romantic dinner, or something."

"To make an appointment" connotes a professional meeting.
"I have to make an appointment to see the doctor."
"Let's make an appointment to discuss our new business deal."
"

最后由 Romina (2011-02-22 09:07:08) 修改

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴

赞同此帖

85.    It is fetching –the scarf is fetching这围巾很漂亮
fetching
[口]动人的, 吸引人的, 迷人的, 娇媚的
It is a running joke ---这是个流传的玩笑
He can see far away and you can see close up. 他能看见很远的,你能看见很近的(他远视你近视)
Look out! He can knock himself right out off that. 留神! 他会把自己从那个东西里面弹翻掉出去的(语境: 小孩子在一个walker里兴奋的大力的摇摆弹跳。)
walker [美](供幼孩学步或病残者用的)助步车
She is doing midterms this week 她这个星期要应付其中考试
I know where to look up 我知道在哪里去查寻(语境: 在网上找东西)

This is one of the reasons why he abdicated. 这是他为什么让位的理由之一。
He is a computer whiz他是个电脑奇才
I am looking for a specific picture but I am not coming across it. 我在(网上)找一个特殊的照片但没遇到/没找到
We don't get to see that.  我们找不到/没看见

君子之交淡若水,小人之交甘若醴